The Smart Phone and Tablet App for CADSTAR
Sometimes I wonder where I would be without my phone and all the wonderful apps. Don’t you?
I’d have to go back to basics, and I might even resort to looking at the sky to estimate the weather for the day. I’d be lost on so many levels, no diary to tell me where to be and when, no access to my emails, no YouTube, no news. I appreciate there are other ways, but like so many of us, I’ve adjusted to this new app dependent lifestyle.
It has been estimated that about one billion smart phones and tablets are in use around the world every month [source, Flurry]. Apps have come a long way since their introduction five years ago. The market is bursting with different variants of apps to suit whatever task you need.
Personally I use apps a lot, such as WhatsApp, Facebook and LinkedIn. We recently asked our Facebook users what their favorite was, and Microsoft’s Grindstone came up as number one. Some of my colleagues had not heard of this before but we were wowed by what it can do. Hey, maybe you have a great productivity app you can suggest and share today? I can. Its new and it’s for CADSTAR. Let me tell you all about it…
The mouse has served us well for controlling PCB design software for a long time, but it’s not as dynamic as the functions we’ve become accustomed too, like pinching to zoom and double tapping to view all.
Download the CADSTAR Touch App
This new free app allows you to use your iPhone™, iPad™, iPod touch™ or Android™ device as a secondary wireless controller with CADSTAR, for simultaneous control of the view and program functions. Not only does it let you pan and zoom the display view, but you can also execute CADSTAR’s user defined macros.
Try CADSTAR Touch for yourself now
1. Go to the App Store (iPhone/iPad/iPod touch) or Google Play™ Store (Android)
2. Search for “CADSTAR Touch” and download the app to your device
3. On the PC you use for CADSTAR, go to www.zuken.com/cadstar-touch and download a second App, “CADSTAR Touch Server”. This will handle the communication between your tablet or phone and CADSTAR, via WiFi.
4. To set up WiFi
- Use a QR code scanner on your phone or tablet for quick, automatic setup (e.g. pic2shop for iOS™, Barcode Scanner for Android)
- Or, configure the IP address and port manually.
Don’t forget to comment on your favorite productivity app at the bottom of this post!
iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc.
Google Play is a trademark of Google Inc.